IM Louiville

IM Louiville
Bikes racked at Ironman Louisville 2010

Friday, February 01, 2008

Torn

First, I want to thank all of you for your concern. I've been bombarded with emails the last week or two with questions about the hamstring. I appreciate the outpouring of suppor!!

Unfortunately, it is not good news. The hamstring is torn. I've been making it worse and worse with each run I've done probably over the last 18+ months. It's not going to require surgery or anything, but it is going to seriously set back my run training for this year. I'm still not sure it's totally sunk in with me. When Dr. Nicola was telling me how long I was to take off from running, in my mind, I had my fingers in my ears and was saying "La la la la la la la" as if not hearing him would mean that I could still run. He kept talking, explaining to me how and where it's torn, how the bone is swollen, but everything was just a blur. I wasn't listening. I couldn't wait to get out of there. This is not the news I wanted to hear. I'm not sure what I expected, but it certainly wasn't this. I mean, if it was torn, wouldn't it hurt like hell?

I went back to physical therapy and handed her the new slip that Dr. Nicola scribbled all over. I asked her to tell me what it meant. She took the slip out of my hand and the expression on her face said it all. I asked, "It's bad, isn't it?" She nodded slowly. Then she said we had to back down from the exercises we had been doing as they were too aggressive.

We started doing some exercises and I asked why, if it was torn, why it didn't hurt more. She then pushed on a part of the hamstring and I about jumped off the table. Holy crap, what are you doing???!? She then did the same thing to my right leg...and it was barely more than a firm push onto the muscle. Apparently, it hurts more than I thought.

If there's anything I can tell you, it's that you should NOT run through pain!! So much easier to say it than do it, but I'm paying for it now. If I would've taken care of this when it first started, I'd be a lot better off. I have a long, uphill battle in front of me.

6 comments:

John said...

sorry to hear that it is bad as you feared. instead of focusing on running/biking/swimming, you'll have to focus on healing. chocolate helps.

Doug Johnston said...

It's a good thing that you are young! You have a whole lifetime of training and racing ahead of you.

Think of this as extreme periodization.

Get well.

Anonymous said...

OH crap, MJ! Well, it WILL heal. Be good and take care of it...you'll come back, no worries! Hang in there! Jen H.

RunBubbaRun said...

Sorry to hear about that. Like the rest of us, we all train through the pain..

But you will come back, the time off from running will suck royally. But hang in there..

Anonymous said...

I don't think I can be your friend anymore until you start training again.

Work that therapy!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear it! You'll learn from the recovery/therapy. It's all part of the fun!(-;
You must have some pain threshhold.
Tom