IM Louiville

IM Louiville
Bikes racked at Ironman Louisville 2010

Monday, February 18, 2008

Slow Progress

Well, this week will be week number 5 of physical therapy. I went in to one of my sessions last week feeling a bit depressed about the lack of progress I feel I've made. While I think my physical therapist is excellent - extremely knowledgeable, I have just felt that my body is not responding to the work we've been doing. However, we went back to one of the exercises we did on my very first day there...one I could not do without pain. Interestingly enough, I could do the exercise very well and with no pain at all. Does this mean I'm healed? Absolutely not! However, it does give me the encouragement and the positive feedback I need to continue with the regular therapy.

The hard part now is deciding if I should do some of my upcoming races. No, I don't have anything for a while, but this process is taking a lot longer than I had hoped. So even if I decide to continue to race, my early season races are not going to be stellar. And I'll still need to back off at the first hint of pain, which is pretty tough to do in a race situation. I know I'm doing the right thing by taking time off the run and doing everything easy, but it's not as fun when you can go out and challenge yourself and give that 100% effort. All I can hope is that when I can recover, I will be stronger.

No comments: