IM Louiville

IM Louiville
Bikes racked at Ironman Louisville 2010

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day!

Between yesterday afternoon and some time this morning, our cozy little neighborhood was dumped on with about a foot of snow. It's not like snow is a stranger to us here in the midwest, but it makes for horrible commuting. In typical MJ-fashion, my motivation to go workout dissipated steadily throughout the day. As I watched the constant snowfall, it was easy to come up with excuses to miss my workout.


Then as I watched the evening news, the weather forecasters predicted another hellacious commute and bombarded viewers with shots of jack-knifed semis and cars stuck helplessly in ditches on various streets in the area. With that, I decided to blow off the morning workout and get some much needed sleep. I didn't find it difficult to sleep past my normal wake up time of 4:11.


Now it's the middle of the afternoon and I am looking for some kind of excuse to blow off yet another workout. It's too cold. The driveway isn't shoveled. I'm tired. I have too much work to do. The kitchen needs to be cleaned, yadda, yadda, yadda. I know right now, if I had been able to get up and get my workout in this morning, I would be in a much better mood (that is, if I didn't end up stuck in a ditch somewhere like the dozens of people I saw on the news).


I end up playing games with myself. OK, after you make this one phone call, you need to get to the gym. Reply to these 3 emails, and then you're free to go. Clean off this one section of your desk, then go work out. Yet, I continue to find other things I need to do and it's frustrating.


Once in a while, I get in these moods. That little trick they tell you about running...you know, get dressed, put your shoes on and go out for 10 minutes and if you still don't feel like running, then turn around and go home? But in most cases, you'll feel better by then and motivated enough to continue on with the run? It really works! I mean, after you put your workout clothes on, head to the gym or wherever it is you plan to workout, well, you might as well make the most of it.


I'm hoping that by getting this all down in writing (er, um, typing), that will help motivate me to get my butt out the door. Next thing you know, it will be 7pm and I'll still be sitting here, fighting with myself on whether or not I should get that workout in! And then if I miss the workout, I'll feel all guilty and crabby for the rest of the night.


And it's Valentine's Day! So I can't have that!!


No comments: