IM Louiville

IM Louiville
Bikes racked at Ironman Louisville 2010

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Downtown Chicago

So this weekend, I was able to get down to the city for a brief lake swim followed by a lakefront run. I realized that I have not had Saturdays to myself in the summer since I started the whole endurance event thing. See, since 2003, I've always been involved with CARA. The first 2 years, I was a training participant. The last 3 years, I've been a group leader for the marathon training program. This means that every Saturday, from June to October, I've been running with this group. Though I missed the group on Saturday, I do feel a great amount of freedom to be able to do what I want to/need to do on Saturdays!

The lake was quite chilly at about 62 degrees. But most of us got in and swam about a mile. I think I swam the first 50 yards or so with my head out of the water, but after about 200 yards, I settled into a nice rhythym. No records being broken on this swim, but I felt smooth and comfortable....and couldn't feel my hands or feet.

After a quick trip to the car to drop off the wetsuit, grab the running shoes and the Garmin, I headed off to what was to be my longest run since I did Ironman Florida way back in NOVEMBER. I cannot believe I have not really run for so long. I've been away from it so long, it's like I don't even miss it anymore. Anyway, the lakefront was quite crowded, but the weather couldn't have been more perfect. It was sunny, a light breeze and the temperature was just right for a run. It's nice to get to the lakefront path for a change of pace. There are so many people there, the time seems to go by quickly. Though I struggled with the pace for the last mile and a half, the run didn't seem so bad. It wasn't fast, but it was a run...with just a couple of water stops thrown in. Looking forward to making this one of my regular rituals this summer!

2 comments:

Griz said...

Water was cold, but refreshing

Anonymous said...

You guys are cracked ... that's some cold water.