IM Louiville

IM Louiville
Bikes racked at Ironman Louisville 2010

Sunday, May 18, 2008

USAT Coaching

So, instead of spending tons of hours on my bike, like my training plan called for, I spent the weekend in West Burlington, Iowa where I attended the USAT Coaching Clinic. Upon successful completion of several factors, I will become a USAT Certified Coach. I wasn't sure what to expect when I signed up for the class, but I do know I have an interest in coaching other athletes. My experience with the Luna Chix in encouraging women to get out and get into the sport of triathlon has been hard work, but it has also been rewarding. Even more fun has been coaching the Multisport Madness swim workouts.

The Coaching Clinic was educational and I think I surprised myself with how much of the material I already knew. It was cool to meet other future coaches from across the country and it made me wonder what motivates people to get into coaching. Most importantly, attending this clinic sort of lit a fire under my a$$. For the past few weeks, maybe even months, I've been sulking because of the hamstring injury and have been extremely unmotivated to train. I always told myself I'd quit when it stopped being fun...and I was getting pretty close to that point. But somehow, being with all these triathletes, locked up in a room for 3 days together, talking about the sport, pumped a bit of motivation back into me. I'm nowhere near ready to race, but at least now I'm wanting to. I've got a lot of work to do!!

No comments: