IM Louiville

IM Louiville
Bikes racked at Ironman Louisville 2010

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Particular About My Socks!

I've recently been able to start running again, albeit slowly. Last weekend, I bundled up for a short little run in the frigid December air. I have a considerable problem trying to keep my hands and feet warm in any temperature under 60 degrees. So last weekend's 19 degrees made me break out some of the warmest outdoor clothing I have.



I'm one of the few runners that will double up on socks in the winter. In fact, I have a separate pair of running shoes I use in winter. Those shoes are laced up much more loosely to give me the extra room needed to fit the warm, thick, woolly socks I use in temperatures under 32 degrees. These socks go up way past the ankle. No way any cold air is sneaking in anywhere!




Underneath those thick, woolly socks are usually my favorite Asics multicolored socks. These socks have different padding at the bottom in different parts based on where your feet hit the ground the hardest. As an added bonus, these socks also have a little "L" and "R" on the top to make sure you get them on the right feet. I also need the socks that have the quarter cut. Those low rise, short ones that are not visible over the shoes are just too little. And my ankle gets cold! If I use socks that are much thinner than these, I end up getting blisters.




Then we have cycling socks. Cycling socks are much, much thinner. In fact, I got a pair of socks when I was picking up my race packet for Ironman Florida and had a chance to wear those. There's almost nothing to them! Oh, and they were the really short kind that leave the ankle exposed. Even though any cycling I'm doing these days is indoor, I don't know I have a thing about the ankle and I think that socks need to cover the ankles! The cool thing about those socks, though, is that they have the little m-dot logo on them. Guess it doesn't matter, I doubt these socks will be getting much use.

Don't know why, but the Asics socks are my favorite, even for cycling. Even after 6 months, the socks hold their shape and still offer enough cushioning to make the run comfortable. They might not have cool colors or designs, but they work. Gotta stick with what works!


3 comments:

Kickstand Pam said...

Try hand warmers in your gloves. They're great! And they don't cost that much. You can pick them up at Dicks for about a $1. I got a box of 80 for $14 bucks at Costco.

RunBubbaRun said...

Trail Wigwam socks are the best to keep the cold out.. One layer is all I need.. Then after than PowerSox for the road.....

You might have to check Injinji Socks, supposed to be kick ass to prevent blisters.

Happy "Sock" holidays MJ.. Stay warm.

Vesrah said...

i also am very particular about my socks...it has begun to cross over into my daily life...i feel as though cotton socks are no longer goon enough...im wondering how im gonna change my sock drawer to 5 dollars a pop for my hi peft foot covers...Laney