IM Louiville

IM Louiville
Bikes racked at Ironman Louisville 2010

Sunday, December 09, 2007

30 Minutes

Well, it's been a while since I've posted. Because this blog is dedicated to my racing and training, and I haven't really been doing those, well, I guess there's really not much to write about. But I've gotten a few nasty email messages telling me that it was getting boring reading about the 100x100 workout, I figure I'd just write something quickly here to provide an update.

Most of my time has been spent sleeping lately. Work, sleep, maybe head on over to the pool. Not much. Researching a couple of races to do next year, not really ready to make any decisions, I'm just in a funk right now. I've never taken this much down time between seasons. Last year at this time, I had just finished running a marathon. I took a few weeks off and went right into training in January for the Boston Marathon in April. I kept myself busy.

I'm hoping all this "rest and recovery" will do me good. I've read that one of the biggest mistakes us age groupers make is not taking enough recovery time. But how much is enough? If I stop training for much longer, I might never go back. I'm starting to get used to plopping myself on the couch where my ass has now made a permanent indentation in the cushions. What am I watching on television? Mostly crap - you've got all those goofy reality shows (except Survivor, still love that one), a slew of crime-police investigation shows, and then some funny ones and I guess there's some drama. I don't know, I don't care. Unfortunately, I tend to stick with what I know, Seinfeld and King of Queens reruns.

OK, back to the workouts. I've run a couple of times since IMFL. I'm up to 30 minutes. 30 very slow minutes. In fact, after about 11-12 minutes, I'm wondering if it would be OK to stop. The good news is that there has been no pain. The bad news is that I'm so uninspired these days, I feel like a different person. Even knowing I have a brand new pair of Asics sitting in the closet waiting to be worn, I just don't feel like getting out there to run. Any time before my injury, I would've been up before dawn running out the door to try out the new shoes. I question whether or not I'll be able to get back to where I was before I got hurt. I wonder if I'll want to be putting in all the hard work I was putting in when I was able to run.

I always said I'd quit the sport of triathlon when it stopped being fun. It's not fun right now. The swimming is still fun...especially with friends...but the rest, eh, guess I need more down time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never thought you would grow bored of the race. But hopefully you will not lose your competitive spirit and I'm sure the Saint is happy to see you home.

Anonymous said...

hey, FYI, it looks the guy behind you coming out of the water is checking your ass out. you may want to change that picture. he! he!

Anonymous said...

All the time I've known you you've had a goal or something you were challenging yourself with. Best example of course was your BQ goal.

Right now your goal is externally imposed. I'm thinking other people have told you that you're supposed to slug out. First of all that isn't challenging. Second of all it isn't what you feel you want.

So I'm thinking a workout of "do 1/3 of what you can do, or used to do, at one third of the effort" doesn't stir your heart.

How long before you get to build again? I think you'll have fun then. Until then-hang with your buddies

freud