IM Louiville

IM Louiville
Bikes racked at Ironman Louisville 2010

Thursday, January 20, 2011

30 Minutes!

Dear Toe - please stop hurting now, it's been too long!


So I went for my first run in - um, I think about 10-12 weeks. It was a pleasant little run. Nice and slow, just about 25 minutes. I stopped and walked a couple times. Does the toe hurt? YES. But this is a different kind of hurt now. Like it's stiff or something. The hardest part is that I found myself compensating by trying to run on the outside of my foot so I could stay off the toe.

That was last week.


And the only one who could possibly be more upset with my lack of running recently is my adorable beast of a dog.

Before the injury, I ran with him for just some shorter runs around the neighborhood. He was still much too little and not conditioned enough to put in any more than a few miles. So I thought, "Great, I'm starting running over again, he can start with me."

I let him out in the yard to take care of his business and went to get dressed. I came back, called him, and he starts playing games. He gets close enough to the door just ALMOST enough for me to catch him. When I go to reach out to him, he runs away. Clever. So, because I am smarter, I get a treat. I try enticing him to come in the house to get the treat, but the beast knows this means he will stay in the house. No deal.

So I grab the leash and walk around to the gate so he could see we'd be going for a run. I open the gate and he runs to the back of the yard. No leash for him. Now I'm ticked and running out of time. So I figure, "OK, well, let him watch me run away and then next time I come to get him with the leash, he'll remember we used to go run together." I throw the leash down near the garage door and start to head out.

His big block head is facing my direction and his ears are up. I turn around, figuring I'll only be gone for 20 minutes or so, he'll be fine in the yard. I run a couple houses down and I hear 2 thuds. With the third thud, I hear the gate swing open and 4 puppy paws running down my driveway and out onto the street to follow me. CRAP! He doesn't come when called and now I'm scared he's going to get hit by a car or run away for ever. I left the leash at the house.

What to do? The only thing I could think of - run like a fool back into the back yard. Whaddya know, the little guy follows me right into the back yard. I am relived, but now I have no time to run. Oh, and I need to fix the gate.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Smart little bugger isn't he? :)

Unknown said...

hahaha! Don't you hate it when the dogs win this little battles? Mine outsmart me daily!

Anonymous said...

A few months ago I started taking Kaleigh our black lab pup (2 yr old pup) for the beginnings of a couple of runs per week (then drop her back at home and continue). Now when she sees me get dressed to run she starts jumping around so excited. It's great when I am taking her, but I feel awful when I am leaving to run elsewhere :(. The best thing though is that when we run she looks up at me smiling! The best run partners they are!

Unknown said...

love the doggie moments!!! :) Sorry your run was spoiled by the pooch!

rhino said...

He owns you...which is cool, 'cause mine own me too! crazy kids!